Paul Washer: Be a Man

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Last night Fort Worth was the destination to witness. To the right is John Speed doing what is called open air preaching. This is a practice that people like Jesus, Whitefield, Spurgeon, did in their time. The goal of doing this among other things is to draw a crowd to listen to the gospel. While a crowd would start gathering, others with the open air person start passing out tracts and witnessing personally to individuals. This is a rewarding practice because you never know who your audience will be. Hecklers are always present and that's what is wanted. Hecklers are wonderful to witness to, because they tell you exactly what they think. You never know how or when the Holy Spirit will quicken a dead soul. With the simple gospel of Christ people are brought into the Kingdom of God as you witness transformation by repentance and faith.

Here below Christ our Lord was outdoors, doing open air preaching.

Luk 6:17
And he came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon...

You know it really doesn't matter what you think about opein air preching or street evangelism or one to one witnessing, our Captain did it as an example for us.

" Now, you men in the open-air are often bamboozled; the devil's barristers are sure to come to you, he has a great number of them constantly retained in his service. The one thing you have to do is to bear witness to the truth. If you enquire in your own mind, "How shall I answer this man cleverly, so as to get a victory over him?" you will not be wise. A witty answer is often a very proper thing; at the same time, a gracious answer is better. Try to say to yourself: "It does not, after all, matter whether that man proves me to be a fool or not, for I know that already I am content to be thought a fool for Christ's sake, and not to care about my reputation. I have to bear witness to what I know, and by the help of God I will do so right boldly. If the interrupter questions me about other things, I shall tell him that I do not come to bear witness about other matters, but this one thing I do." Spurgeon




No comments:

Voddie Sets Down the Law

Using the Law in Evangelism

Powerful Words to Describe the Need for more Laborers